Sunday, February 15, 2015

Looking for Agee Ancestors - Building my Match Trees

In my last post about the Smith and Agee family, I discussed how I was able to connect my Smith family to the family of Thomas Smith and Leah Agee of Tennessee and Kentucky. By running a targeted surname search through my DNA matches for the Agee surname, I was able to determine that my family was connected to Mathieu Agee, the Huguenot who fled from France and moved to Virginia around 1700. Mathieu was the grandfather of Leah Agee who married Thomas Smith. Two descendants of Thomas Smith and Leah Agee have had their Y-DNA tested and they were a match to my grandfather, Darrel. The results of the Y-DNA test combined with the autosomal DNA test have led me to believe that Thomas Smith and Leah Agee were the common ancestors of my Grandfather and his two Y-DNA matches. My goal is to determine exactly how my Smith ancestors tie in to the family of Thomas Smith and Leah Agee.

I started off by entering all of the information I learned from my AncestryDNA matches. I entered all 11 of my matches' direct line ancestors into my Family Tree Maker software, starting with themselves and going back to their Agee ancestors. As I entered their direct line ancestors, I added a citation pointing back to their online trees to every name and fact I copied from their tree to mine. This is what my citations look like:

Citation Title: Public Member Tree Submitted by 5haags
Citation Detail: "Rapp/Knutson Family Tree," submitted by 5haags, accessed 02 February 2015; AncestryDNA match to Ginger Smith. Possible Common ancestor is Mathieu Agee.
Citation Text: This is where I enter the ancestor's name, place and date of birth and death and any other information pertaining to the data being cited.
Web Address: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/18580720

The full citation is as follows: "Rapp/Knutson Family Tree," submitted by 5haags, accessed 02 February 2015; AncestryDNA match to Ginger Smith. Possible Common ancestor is Mathieu Agee. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/18580720.

Next time I will run a targeted surname search for the Agee surname in my ftDNA matches and also I will do the same for my Smith family members who have tested with ftDNA.

Posts related to this topic:
Looking for Connection to Agee ancestors via Autosomal DNA
Running a Targeted Surname Search in my Smith Relatives' Results

No comments:

Post a Comment